Serving the communities of Bures St Mary and Bures Hamlet

Butlers Farm, Colne Road


The property can be dated to approximately 1680, however its origins are much earlier as other records indicate there were dwellings on the site from the early 14th century
It once belong to the vast estates of the College of Stoke by Clare, which held vast swathes of land in Bures Hamlet.

Essex Records Office has it mentioned in the Will of John Harvey, of Bures Hamlet, Butcher, 6th November 1759.

A Codici to this Willl:- 22 August 1763. Revokes annuity of £5 to daughter Mary, wife of Samuel Leswell,and confirms the annuity of £9 to w. Ann, and £5 to daughter Ann, but charges the former be charged on his farm and lands called Butlers in Bures Hamlet

There is a book reference to "a house on new land called Butlers" this was circa 1650 to a marriage contract between Spring Wincoll (Colchester),and a lady ( name unknown)

Although there are numrous footpaths across the farmland, do respect Butlers being Private Property,

Owners of Butlers
Before 1925: unknown
1925 -Laurie family
1946/7 Smith family
1950 Joyce and Edward Whitebread with their
2 children Spencer and Sheila
1952 - 1986/7 - Sheila (daughter of above) and Ken Roberts with their 2 children - Janet & Helen.
These two families lived together in Butlers. At the eastern end, the Whitbreads and at the western end Ken & Sheila Roberts.

1986/7 - 2022 - Sylvia and Paul Roberts ( no relation to above)
July 2022 - under new ownership

The Whitbread family constructed BroadOaks Bungalow in 1986/7 on Butlers farmland opposite Prickets Hall Farm.
Sold in 2017 to private owner.

Public Footpath across the Farmland

Farmhouse circa 2000

Painting by Charlotte Laurie of Butlers, circa 1945 -1950


To the rear of Butlers Farm are the remnants of Nurses Wood
which dates back to the Middle Ages.

1876 OS map

During 1946/47 the War Agricultural Committee,
authorised the wood to be removed and the land used for the production of food.

The circular road way (A and B) was constructed inside the wood in 1943 by the United States Army Air Force to facilitate the storage of munitions

The removal of the Wood exposed this road network.

Images in the Public Domain 2019
Published 01/12/2019