In an attempt to get the
working classes out of the Public Houses,
a Coffee Shop was opened in the High Street
it was run by a Committee of the local gentry with the Vicar as Chairman.
Benjamin Simpson, farmer and owner leased the property for a period of
It was subsequently listed in 1883 Kellys Trade directory as:-
Coffee Tavern and Club Room, Manageress Mrs Maria Howlett
and again in the 1892 Kellys
Trade directory as:-
Coffee Tavern and Club Room, Manageress Miss Louisa Frost
by the next issue in 1900, there was no entry.
By this time the lease would have expired and the Tavern ceased trading.
The Trade Directories do not give an address, so its location in the
High street is unknown.
The newspaper report mentions ".... consists of a roomy front
bar or Tavern"
When it closed, did it revert back to a Public House ?
The two recorded Public Houses in the High Street were, The Crown and
the Angel Inn
Looking back at their records, both were trading well before the Coffee