Bures-online.co.uk
Serving the communities of Bures St Mary and Bures Hamlet

 

The History of Cornhall (Cornerth) , Bures

 

 

Corn Hall is located north of Bures along the B1508,
where it meets the lane descending from Bures Green
There is no public access to this property


Listed Building described as:

House. Circa. 1830-35 with C20 alterations and additions. Red brick in
Flemish bond. Low pitched hipped slate roof with lead rolls to the hips and deep eaves. Symmetrically disposed axial red brick stacks to left and right of ridge, each with 4 yellow clay pots.

Plan: Rectangular, almost square double depth plan. 2 principal front rooms, a central entrance and stairhall and smaller rooms at the back, behind which is a wide centrally placed service wing.
In the C20 the internal plan was re-arranged and the main entrance was moved to the right hand (east) side of the rear wing, giving access into a newly created entrance hall.
The plan of the main front block was retained except that a wide doorway was formed between the original entrance hall and the front right hand room and single storey bays were added to the left hand side.

Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay front, the centre bay and corners have brick pilasters without capitals and/or bases. Original 16-pane sashes, centre first floor window is smaller, flat gauged brick arches, first floor windows have C19 louvred shutters with shaped valances.
Central doorway with C20 moulded wooden architrave and C20 glazed door.

The right hand (east) side is symmetrical and has 2 C19 16-pane sashes on both floors with gauged brick flat arches and rear wing set back to right has 16-pane sashes and C20 doorway with large canopy.
The left hand (west) side has 2x 16-pane sashes on the first floor and C20 brick bays on ground floor with sashes.
To the left the rear wing set back has 16-pane sashes and C20 glazed door.
The rear elevation of back wing has 16-pane sashes and C20 plank door to right.

Interiors Central stairhall has original open-well staircase with stick
balusters moulded mahogany handrail wreathed over moulded cast-iron newel.
Most of the original interior joinery, and plasterwork appears to have been replaced.
The right hand front room has a simple white marble chimneypiece.

Possibly "Burnetts Cottage"

Cornerth Hall al Cornhall
From the Parish Register we can date the owners back to 1275

1275 Richard de Corneth/Cornard owns (linked to Gt and Lt Cornard and Cavendish)
1405 Sir Thomas Culpeper owns


Wooden effigy of Knight in Bures Church
Possibly Sir John de Cornard ?


Henry V111 reigned 1491 - 1547

Gazetter of Suffolk
This publication describes it as Corn Hall,
but the much later OS Map (left) refers to it as Cornerth

The Suffolk Traveller circa 1732
With both publications mentioning Corn Hall in the reign of Henry V111,
the building we see today cannot be the original property, as it was constructed circa 1830

1548 Sir Thomas Barnardiston owns
1609 Sir Stephen Soame owns (linked to Cavendish)


Extract from Essex RO dated 1771
Wm. Bridges of Bures St.Mary, (shopkeeper) and Geo. Davey of Bures St. Mary, farmer
To ensure the equal division of profits arising from leasehold property assigned to the two parties by George Abbott of Cornhall, Bures St Mary and Daniel Underwood of Assington, farmer


Corn Hall owners taken from Kellys Directory

1844 Thomas lungley
1855 Richard Keeble
1864 Richard Keeble
1868 Richard Keeble
1869 Richard Keeble
1874 Richard keeble
1883 Jonathon Warden
1885 Jonathin Warden
1892 Jonathon Warden
1900 Herbet Turner
1908 Herbet Turner
1912 Herbet Turner
1925 L Probert *
1937 L Probert *
1939 L Probert
*
1949 On Sale as Corn Hall (Hope Champen)
2012 On Sale as Corn Hall (Peregine Simpson)

Corn Hall also owned two farm cottages at Bures Green.


OS Map dated 1946 with the original name of Cornerth

* When the Probert family took over Cornhall, it reverted to its original name of Cornerth

Farming at Corn Hall
Employees on the farm from 1950, Arable with Red Poll cattle

Jim Brown (Manager)
Reg Dolling
Fred Farrow
Jack Clampin
John Goody
Arthur Willis
Harry Dolling
Arthur Cudmore
Walter Friend (Gardener
Tom Hartley (PT Gardener)

When the farm eventually wound down,
Reg Dolling was the only employee

Fred Farrow worked on the farm until 1963
Lived in farm cottage called "Burnetts"
- see Message Board
Information supplied by Reg Dolling

Please use the Contact page to provide us with additional information
Published 01/01/2018
Updated 02/01/2017
Updated with film shots 24/02/2018
Updated names on screenshots 08/03/2018
SEAX Records:- http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/Result_Details.aspx?DocID=147064