Joseph Clark and family around 1800 - 1810

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
JudyCarroll

Joseph Clark and family around 1800 - 1810

Post by JudyCarroll »

Hi I'm a Newbee to this message board. I am searching for the family/birth/baptism of Joseph Clark in about 1810. He appears on the 1841 & 1851 Census of England as a Horsekeeper in Blackfriars London and gives his place of birth place as Mount Bures Hertfordshire. From what I have been able to find out (living in Australia) it seems the boundries of the counties may have changed since that period and Mount Bures is now in Sussex? Perhaps someone can clear this up for me - or am I looking in the wrong county?

There are no entries for the surname Clark in the 1841 census of Mount Bures so perhaps they were an itinerant family? Any help and direction to parish transcripts would be most welcome.

Regards from Downunder
JudyC
alan

Re: Joseph Clark and family around 1800 - 1810

Post by alan »

There are no Mount Bures either in Sussex or Hertfordshire.
When I get time I will look in the Mount Bures cemetary for you concerning your other post.
However, I dont hold out much hope as gravestones back in the early/mid 1800`s usually have the inscription illegible due to weathering.

All the records are now held at Chelmsford.
http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip8/ecc/ECCW ... eOid=14788

UPDATE:-
I can find no evidence of "Clarke" in the Mount Bures Churchyard
JudyCarroll

Post by JudyCarroll »

Thanks for checking this for me. It's much appreciated
JudyC
White_Family

Post by White_Family »

My paternal grandmother was a Clark from Bures. I've been researching her family. Looking at my 5 year old notes, I have the following fragments to offer you.

A Joseph Clark was born in Bures approx 1806. He married Susannah Hum (born 1804, surname?) in 1825. I've found 4 children; William b1827 (my ancestor), Henry b1833, Mary Ann b1839, Harriet b1846. Jospeh first appears in the 1871 Bures census and is there in 1881.

Another researcher has Jospeh Clark b1811 married to Harriet (Williams or Weller?). He is in the 1841 and 1851 census as a horsekeper in Whitefriars, Fleet St London without his wife, but with Mary and Henry. They had 5 children; Henry b1832, William 1834, Mary Ann 1838, Elizabeth b1846 and John b1846.

There is a Henry in the 1851 and 1901 censuses.

A Jospeh appears in the parish records in 1838, exempt from paying rent, along with a Thomas Clark.

The first two fragments do seem to share common elements e.g. Henry and Mary Ann. Did Joseph's firts wife die and he remarry?
JudyCarroll

Post by JudyCarroll »

Hi and thanks for your message. This is quite intriguing. I believe our Joseph Clark is the horsekeeping living in Whitefriars in 1841 and 1851. He had 5 children (all christened in White Friars and on the IGI) with his wife Harriet Willow. His children where Henry 1832 (my husbands ancestor), William 1834, Mary Ann 1838, John 1840-42 and Harriet Elizabeth 1846-49. In each instance the parents in the christening records are given as Joseph and Harriet Clark.

It seems an extraordinary coincidence for two Joseph Clark's to have named their children indentical names (slightly differing birth dates), so I'm think there is some connection but not sure how. Perhaps Susannah died childless and he then married Harriet in London in 1830???

I have a photo (or likeness?) of Henry when he was a young man of about 30. He came to Australia and married Anniette Eliza Hall, the daughter of a convict :D They lived in Melbourne and had 8 children.

I would love to have your help in solving this. My email address is prestonbeachhs(at)oceanbroadband.net

Regards
Judy