Rev. Arthur Evans at Bures

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
katie morris

Rev. Arthur Evans at Bures

Post by katie morris »

Hello again Bures,

Lambath Palace Library sent me an entry 1932 Crocfords' Clergy. Rev. Arthur Fitzgerald Evans Honerable Canon of St. Aug. Abp in Chelmsf. Cathl from 1923
.......R.D. of Hedingham & Halstead 1907 - 1924....Vicar of Gt. Maplestead 1887 - 1912 ......... residence Alphamstone House, Bures, Suffolk.
Lambath thought he must have died about 1932 as they had no further information for him
Said to have several acres with a 17 bedroom house with enormous lawns and gardens.
Sorry, I wanted to attach it but I don't see how. I've wrote to the Diocese for Suffolk & Essex - they have no information. I write to anyplace I can think of. If anyone has any ideas just let me know, Bye for now, Katie
alan

Post by alan »

Here are some answers for you:-

ALPHAMSTONE HOUSE still stands in the village of Alphamstone. In the early 1900`s it was called THE PARSONAGE..
Now owned by local Farmer

Inside the local church is a list of vicars which does not have your Rev Evans listed.
This was because he was Canon Evans who purchased Alphamstone House around 1911/12 from the Dickenson family.

The Canon lived at THE PARSONAGE whilst the local Vicars lived at THE VICARAGE.
When the Canon was doing his rounds of the Diocese he expected his staff of 4 or 5 to have fires lit in every room of the house.
Mrs Tanner was the Head Housekeeper.

He had 2 daughters, one married the Vicar from Pebmarsh, an adjacent Parish.
Canon Evans died around 1920 and the house was then let until around 1935 when it was eventually sold.