Help! Rev. Evans at Alphamstone House

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
katie morris

Help! Rev. Evans at Alphamstone House

Post by katie morris »

Hello Bures :P ,

I'm trying to find Rev. Arthur Fitzgerald Evans who was at Alphamstone House, Bures, Suffolk in 1919. Roy Evans visited him & family there on furlough during WWI before shipping home to USA. I know he was at Great Maplestead in 1901 on the census, and before that at Coggeshall in 1884 when his father, Rev. John Evans died at Grassendale.

Arthurs family was wife, Constance, & kids Margaret, John & Dove. His sisters Elizabeth I.H. & Constance D also were in the house.
Arthur - Constance & sisters would all have been in their 60s in 1919. If any of these people sound familiar or you can suggest something that would be super. I live in California, USA.
Bye for now, Katie
alan

Post by alan »

Katie,
I dont know of any Alphamstone House in Bures.
Alphamstone and some of the adjacent small villages use "Bures" as an easy means of locating them. Their Postal delivery also comes from Bures and consequently they use a Bures zip/post code.
Alphamstone House may well be located in the actual village of Alphamstone.
If I hear of anything I will let you know.
katie morris

Evans search

Post by katie morris »

Good Morning Alan,

Thank you for writing to me about Bures. On Google map I can see Bures area and Alphamstone. I wrote to the church there and no answer yet. a bed & breakfast which I can't remember the name of this minute nicely wrote back. No information but would keep me in mind. So as you say they could have been anywhere in the area. So I decided to broaden my search over to Bures. I've just written to the church - no answer yet. & this morning the diocese of Chelmsford wrote they would forward my inquiry to Eoin Buchanan. I also wrote to the diocese of Suffolk. I don't know anything about church so am pretty green at doing clergy research.

The Roy Evans in my posting wrote a brief diary during the war and he wrote the Evans being at the Alphamstone House, Bures, Suffolk. That is where I got the location from. I realize those times were in flux for so many and then WWII. I just figure with a family of 7, there would be a good chance someone would remember them, Arthur being clergy.

These were the last living relatives we would have in England. I figure even as Rev. Arthur & Constance and the sisters Elizabeth & Constance died - his children, Margaret - Dove - and John would have lived into the 1940s, 50s,60s? Just guessing. If you have any more suggestions for me, I'm happy to write to anyone. I am hugely enjoying learning about your country and looking up so manyplaces. Bye for now, Katie
alan

Post by alan »

Katie,
Look at this URL
http://www.parishchurch.co.uk

At the bottom of the page you will find their email address.
Trouble is Bures (Suffolk)comes under the Diocese of Bury St Edmunds and Alphamstone (Essex) comes under Chelmsford.

Good luck in your search.

Alan