Betty Vera Rusby

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
Sue Huxford

Betty Vera Rusby

Post by Sue Huxford »

My Mum, Betty Vera Rusby, lived in Bures during the war having been sent up from London to work in the land army and I am now in possession of the land army badge awarded to Mum although sadly she died just prior to this arriving in the post. I have already been lucky to establish where Mum lived during her time in Bures which was in Station Hill but am now trying to find the farm where she actually worked and understand it could possibly have been Baker's Hall Farm. I am not sure as to the exact dates Mum was working in Bures but if anyone would have any more information as to the farm or anything relating to Betty Rusby I would be so pleased to hear from you. I am planning a trip next year to the area to trace as much about Mum's stay there as I can as I know just how much she loved the area and I just wish we had managed to get her back to see it once again for herself but now I must continue this for myself. I hope someone may be able to help me. Thank You. Sue Huxford
alan

Re: Betty Vera Rusby

Post by alan »

From your information your mother was evacuated to Bures during WW2 and lived in Cansdale Cottages. These still can be seen in Station Hill, but have since been converted into one property and renamed No16.
Cansdale Cottages were once part of the “White House” which stands alongside. The houses we see today going up Station Hill on the left were built around the 1980/90`s and the land they stand on was once a Market Garden complete with Greenhouses etc, all owned by the White House.
You mentioned your mother worked on a farm in a cottage by the railway line.
The general consensus seems to be, that she worked for the “White House”
Two other farms in the immediate area by the railway line have been eliminated, Bakers, Butlers have no knowledge of Betty working for them.
The majority of the Land Army Girls, were billeted at Leavenheath and travelled here daily.

Alan Beales