Pudney

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
chavron

Pudney

Post by chavron »

Hi. I love your webpage.

My Ancestors by the name of Pudney lived in Mt. Bures in the 1500s and 1600's.
Children lived at Gt. Tey and Earls Coln and Feering.
Major Gooday Pudney was a John the Baptist minister at Earls Coln.

What i am trying to work out is the relation of Pudney to the name Podeney.

The name Podeney seems to dissappear after the 1400's and the name Pudney then appears.

Also trying to work out if Roger Podeney changed his name from Pudsey from York.

The Pudseys in York have names such as Podesay and the Podeney in Rayne has names such as Podeshay.

I'm just wondering if there are any family crests in Mt. Bures of the Pudney or Podeney family.
The Pudseys had three stars.

The crest should link up these families.
Last edited by chavron on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alan

Re: Pudney

Post by alan »

I have checked the definitive book on Mount Bures History, namely "Mount Bures, its Lands and its People" and the name Pudney appears on a number of occasions.
Unfortunately the earliest they are mentioned is around the mid 1400`s:-
Roger Pudney occupied PearTree Farm in 1494
John Pudney occupied Hammonds Farm in 1614

No reference to Podeney, I am sorry to say !

Thanks for the kind words about the web site.

UPDATE 16/02/09
I have forwarded your query to the Mount Bures Historian. I was informed many years ago there was a local meeting of all the Pudneys associated with the village in the local village hall.
The organisers name of this event may be still on file somewhere.
chavron

Post by chavron »

Thanks very much Alan. That's a great help.
Having a Roger mentioned means something.
I bought the records in the doomsday book believing it would mention the early inhabitants of Rayne, but it only mentioned the owner of the manor Roger De Rames.
There was a John Podeney murdered around the late 1300's from Mount Bures. Killed in the highway of the parish of St. Nicholas, Colchester. There are also many John's running in the family.

There's a historian article called the "Secret of the Pudney family Gathering"
A distant relative just bought the CD, but the part above was damaged so he's asked for a replacement. It would be interesting to find out what it say's.

I'm puting together a webpage of the Pudney's. Is it okay to mention those two names of the early inhabitants of Mount Bures?
Also can i give a link to your Mount Bure's website?
alan

Post by alan »

By all means give Mount Bures a mention on your new web site.
I had a phone call today (Tues) from the Mount Bures Historian who is putting together some information for you.
I hope to have it with me in a few days.
This information was extracted from the publication "Mount Bures its Lands its People"

PearTree Farm

Once called Old Brookhouse but now demolished
1494 Roger Cardoun rented the tenament from Simon Pudney
1502 Richard Laykin rented the tenament from Simon Pudney
1503 Richard Laykin and Simon Pudney had a disagreement over this property – no idea what

Brook House

The Garrad family in 1862 rebuilt a property known as Old Pudneys and called it Brook House.
This stands today on the Mount Bures and Bures Hamlet Parish border

Golden Square Cottage
1614 John Pudney occupied this property
1646 William Pudney son of John and Francis his wife inherited a property called Ruffields
1656 Thomas Moors son of Edward of Bures St Mary mortgaged for above William Pudney
1662 Christopher Pudney brother of William owned a property called Ruffles

Dowles
1614 John Pudney occupied this property
1625 John Pudney occupied this property with his wife Francis,daughter of John Linwood
1646 Christopher Pudney inherited Dowles tenement and land from his father John
His brother John owned property called “Craxland”
1662 John Moore now owned Dowles from John Pudney

John and Francis Pudney held both Ruffields and Dowles together with 6 acres of Craxland and 2 acres at Reedings. Their son John inherited this last 8 acres in 1646

Mount Bures Court Rolls
1396 Pardon to James Grave, Fleming for the death of John Podeney of Bures atte Mount killed on the highway in Colchester
1425 Pardon to Robert Podeney of Bures at the Mount, husbandman for not appearing to answer Sir Thomas Sackville touching a dept of £20
1504 – reference to land at “Pudney” - no idea where this was
1550 – same as above

This confirms your initial supposition that by 1504 the name Podeney had changed to Pudney
chavron

Post by chavron »

Alan,

Thankyou very very much. I much appreciate the time and effort you spent on that for me.

Debbie.
chavron

Post by chavron »

http://www.1066.co.nz/library/battle_ab ... hap214.htm

"The Countess, obedient to the vision, vowed and performed her vow: and so Quatford Church, in Shropshire, was built on the unsavory spot described by the holy matron, where, as was foretold, she met her husband. "

I just thought the above was very interesting. Mt. Bure's church reminds me of the Norman church above.

Deb.
chavron

Post by chavron »

Hi Alan.
I came across a William Bures in the crusades who came from Bures-sur-Yvette,
He was with the Puisaye's. 1099 in the crusades.
Also the link above, Adela's(Nee Puisaye) husband Roger Montgomery owned much land, plus arundel castle.
Roger Montgomery's son was count in West Bergolt.
Evrard Puisaye was in the crusades in the 1100's.

Roger Podenaye(Pudney) records of him being a Baliff in the 1400's in Earls Coln, then land in Mt. Bures inherited to descendants.

I found that Roger Podeneye was a knight for King Richard 11 and collected taxes.

I'm finding all the Norman history very interesting. I just thought the name Bures was interesting as all these names seem to be connected.

Debbie.