Bures Victory Hall 1919 - 1961
On the site of our present village hall
car park, near to the bottle bank stood the former Victory Hall.
It was officially opened on January 5th 1921 by Sir William Hyde Parker
Arthur Beaumont can recall his father Henry travelling to mid-Suffolk (location unknown) to collect these buildings from an army camp.
During the lifetime of the building, Mrs Margaret
Hitchcock was a frequent user of the hall. She founded "The Bures Dramatic
Society" in 1922 , which used the hall for their rehearsals and performances.
Margaret Hitchcock was not only the founder member of the society, but she often found to be acting in three act plays.
CLICK HERE for a selection of Posters.
The Women's Institute, in which Mrs Hitchcock was strongly associated also used it for their monthly meetings.
In addition the hall was booked for numerous single day events, the most famous of which was the joint service of the three churches in Bures during the mid 1930`s.
On this first occasion of them joining in one service, their strongly independent outlook was shattered to the extent that it was said that their congregations fell steadily away, once they were no longer in fierce opposition to each other.
The end behind the stage was set aside for many years for the men of the village who wished to play billiards and it was known for some time as the "mens end".
The "Dramatic Society" finally closed
its doors in 1961 after 39 years.
Witgar Hitchcock who was the treasurer at that time, confirmed all profits from the plays amounted to £1015 were given to the Victory Hall.
Eventually in the late 1940`s Dr Thomas Wood
donated a sum of money to the village for the erection of a new hall, the one
we see today. Unfortunately he died in 1950, before the project got under way
but his wife kindly carried on with the legacy.
In 1961 the present day village hall was opened, which made the Victory Hall redundant.
<<<< Essex County Standard April 1961
On the 4th Oct 1961 the Victory Hall was placed in the hands of Percivals the auctioneers, for disposal together with all the fitments.
After extensive research I could find
no record of who purchased the building at auction. Percivals found in
their ledgers the sale advertisement, but no record of any purchaser,
which was rather odd.
The disposal of the Hall was then opened
up for a private negotiation.
NOTE:- Records indicate that a Public Hall was erected in 1890, location unknown. So the Victory Hall was not the first in the village.
6th May 1935 - Jubilee Day Celebration Party.
Photograph taken by Dr Thomas Wood.
Notes on Current Village Hall:-
The Hall was financed by Mrs
St Osyth Wood with a £7,500 donation, with the remainder of £3,500
coming from the Ministry of Education
The land on which the village hall was built was entrusted to the Management Committee on 11th March 1960 for a peppercorn rent.
The building was completed and officially opened on Saturday 8th April 1961
The first tenants of the village hall were Charles Robert Peacock then chairman of Bures Hamlet Parish Council, Ronald Arthur Mansfield chairman of St Mary's Parish Coucil and Arthur Desmond Rowley Heyland.
The village hall was reburbished 2007/08 and was then renamed Bures Community Hall.
John Ineson, Peter Richards & Witgar Hitchcock
Nick Wells, News Editor, Suffolk Free Press
Kelly`s Directory 1900 re 1890 Hall
and many other residents, to numerous to mention.
update:- Percival Poster 27/09/20