Bures-online.co.uk
Serving the communities of Bures St Mary and Bures Hamlet

Public Houses in Bures Hamlet & Bures St Mary


History of the Eight Bells Hotel and Eight Bells Public House
The name "Hotel" was abandoned in 1958

Information taken from various Trade Directories

River House, the Garage opposite, and the Blacksmiths cottages were all one parcel of land.
George Cousins a licensee of the Eight Bells, acquired this land sometime around 1907


The opening date is ambiguous.
One directory lists George Meggs in 1830, but another has no record of the Pub trading in 1839

So I think it may be safe to assume that it opened the middle to late 1830`s
====================================================

1720 Listed as a Beerhouse at the Essex RO.
Before the 1900`s there were very few licensed Public Houses in villages and towns. They were instead called Beerhouses or Brewhouses.
They could be located in shops and private houses where beer was brewed and sold. Beer was brewed on the premises stored in barrels and dispensed by a stone jug.
Beerhouses were so prolific, that it`s very doubtful if they were ever fully recorded.


1830 George Meggs Licensee

1839 The Eight Bells not listed in any Trade Directory
Possibly because the pub wasn't open but then why the George Meggs entry ??

1844 Charles Burch, Licensee

1845 Charles Burch, Licensee

1848 Barnabas Burch, Licensee

1855 Barnabas Burch, Licensee
Various other residents living with Barnabas
1861 Robert Rowland, Lodger Inland Revenue Officer
1861 Batari Hunt, servant
1861 Thomas Polesland, Ostler
1861 John Shed, Farm Labourer

1862 Mrs Harriet Burch, Licensee

1867 Samuel Mortimer, Licensee

Licensees now include Abraham Cousens. Abraham Cousins was the father of George Cousins, who in turn was the father of Edwin G "Dick" Cousins, You will now see that The Eight Bells was managed by three generations of Cousins.


1870 Abraham Cousins, Licensee

1874 Abraham Cousins, Licensee

1878 John Thompson, Licensee

1881 John Thompson, Licensee

Various other residents living with John Thompson:-
Hannah Thompson, wife
Emily Harvey, servant
Harriet Fidrey, servant
Robert Josselyn, Lodger
Harry Pryke, Agricultural Labourer
John West, Agricultural Labourer
John Harvey, Agricultural Labourer
Arthur Johnson, Agricultural Labourer
John Doubleday, Agricultural Labourer
Walter porter, Agricultural Labourer
Walter duddel, Agricultural Labourer
James Spinks, Agricultural Labourer

1882 John Thompson

1886 George Cousins, Licensee

1887 George Cousins,
Licensee

1892 George Cousins
, Licensee

1891 George Cousins, Licensee

1895 George Cousins, Licensee:- Eight Bells, family run Hotel

1899 George Cousins, Licensee:- Eight Bells, family run Hotel

1901 George Cousins, Licensee
Various other relations living with George Cousins:
Eliza Cousins wife
Clara Cousins
Edwin Cousins
Jemima Cousins

1902 George Cousins, Licensee:- Eight Bells, family run Hotel

1906 George Cousins, Licensee: Eight Bells, family run Hotel


1910 Messrs Cousins,
Licensee:- Eight Bells Hotel general conveyancing to meet all trains ((Why the Messrs ? was there a partnership))

1912 Messrs Cousins, Licensee: Eight Bells Hotel general conveyancing to meet all trains

1917 E, (Edwin) G Cousins, Licensee: Eight Bells Hotel and Motor cars for hire

1922 E, G Cousins, Licensee: Eight Bells Hotel and Motor cars for hire

1925 E, G Cousins, Licensee: Eight Bells Hotel and Motor cars for hire

1925 Ind Coope of Romford purchased pub from Colchester brewing Company
1927 Ind Coope sign appeared

Pratt Petrol Pump and Mobil Oil Stand sometime later but no date given

1929 E. G. Cousins, Licensee - Eight Bells Hotel
circa 1930

1933 E.G Cousins, Licensee: Eight Bells Hotel

1933 E. G Cousins and Son Motor Engineers

1937 E. G Cousins, Licensee: Eight Bells Hotel

1937 E. G Cousins and Son, Licensees Motor Engineers

1939 Mr and Mrs E. G Cousins, Licensee

22nd December 1939
Fire at Bures Hamlet, Early on Friday morning a fire broke out at the premises of Mr E G Cousins, motor garage proprietor and licensee of the Eight Bells Hotel, Bures Hamlet.


1942 Mr and Mrs E. G Cousins, Licensee

1944 Mr and Mrs E. G Cousins, Licensee

9 Jun 1944 Transfer of Bures Licence
At a special Police Court at Halstead on Monday, before Mr R E Vaizey (chairman) and Mr C Ready, application was made for the temporary transfer of the licence of the Eight Bells public-house, Bures Hamlet, from Mr E G Cousins to Mr George Thomas Boulton, of Wormingford Road, Colchester


June 1944 George Bolton
took over from George Cousins as Licensee of the pub and Motor Engineer

1980 William Amos, Licensee

1993 Romford Brewery closed

2015 William Amos still trading