Francis Walter Baker

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
Rob

Francis Walter Baker

Post by Rob »

I have recently discovered that my great grandmothers eldest brother, Francis (Frank?) Walter Baker use to live in Water Lane, Bures Hamlet in 1962. He was to die in December that year at the age of 81.

Francis was the eldest son of George 'Fred' Baker (aka Quake/Quark Baker) who also lived in Water Lane circa 1901 to 1933 before spending the remaining 10 years of his life in a crofters caravan up on the Colne Road.

Does anyone remember Francis (Frank) Baker or have any info on him?

thanks now.
caf28

Re: Francis Walter Baker

Post by caf28 »

Hi Rob,

I am also looking for info on Baker/Powell families that lived in Bures and earlier at Chappel,
My husbands family was George & Phoebe Baker they lived at Chappel and they had seven children
Walter Robert, Joseph, James Levi, Henrietta, Henry Baker, Frederick Baker and George Baker.
They were in Bures circa 1884. Walter Robert Baker was my husbands 2 x Gt Grandfather and moved to Stratford East London. Henrietta married Alfred Powell in Stepney and they had two sons Alfred and George they also ended up living in Bures. Harry and Frederick were both blacksmiths. George Powell married Alice Ladbrook. We know some Bakers lived in Croft Fields and Powells lived in Water Lane. Do we have a connection, could we possibly help each other out.
I am at present looking for the death of Henrietta Powell I know she was still around in the 1940's.

Look forward to hearing from you

Christine
Rob

Re: Francis Walter Baker

Post by Rob »

Hi Christine

Unfortunately I don't think we have a baker family connection,at least not a close one.

My Bakers were firmly located in the Boxford / Stoke By Nayland area by 1800

Looking at your George Baker,born circa 1818, his birth location appears to change with each census.
In 1851 it looks like Rettington (sic),Suffolk, in 1861 Earls Colne,Essex, in 1871 Rattlesden,Suffolk, 1881 Rawlston(sic) Suffolk and 1891 Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Rattlesden isn't too far from Boxford so if Rattlesden is correct then there could be a distant link otherwise I think it was just a coincidence that there were two unrelated Baker families living in Water lane.