The earliest recorded educational establishment
in Bures was operational in 1582.
1582 Grammar School
An article written by Col W Probert for
the Parish Magazine dated circa 1930 states:
Grammar Schools founded by churchmen like wealthy merchants like John
Colet and by a succession of Monarchs. These Grammar schools were
formed to teach the classical languages like Latin. This school, would
barely have achieved todays "GCSE O" level standard.
The school established at Bures was of a grade high enough to send its
more clever boys, of whatever social class to the Universities.
William and John Claydon for example aged 17 and 15 respectively enter
as Scholars of "Gonville and
Caius College Cambridge" on April 8th 1583. Their father Barnabas
Claydon appears to have paid no college fees on their account.
||Extract from the book
"The Bibliography of Caius College"
Father paid no fees so they were probably covered by an endowment.
The tale continues, " John took his degree in 1587 and became a schoolmaster".
He was ordained at Colchester in 1595 and instituted vicar of Gt Thurlow
In 1643, the Westminster Assembly drew
up a "Westminster
Confession of Faith" on strictly Calvinistic lines and many English
people found this much too strict.~
Ref:- In 1643, the English
Parliament called upon "learned, godly and judicious Divines",
to meet at Westminster Abbey in order to provide advice on issues of worship,
doctrine, government and discipline of the Church of England. Their meetings,
over a period of five years, produced the confession of faith, as well
as a Larger Catechism and a Shorter Catechism.
1664: The Bures Grammar school, was abolished circa 1644. It was
in 1644 that John Claydon first a schoolmaster then a Priest was ejected
from his house at Bures because he could no longer accept the 1643 doctrine.
We hear no more of any Bures
School until this date.
"Mr Edward Strutt on August 18th 1662
licensed by the Bishop as its new Master.
Circa 1670: Extracts from the Diary
of Ralph Josselin, Vicar of Earls Colne during 1640 and 1683 "who
sometimes preached at
Bures walking both ways"
The presence of a school is mentioned in the "Glebe
Terrier of 1706"
Houses belonging to the Parish of Bures
"a house of about £3 a year, said formerly to be a free
school, the case of which is now before her Majesties Commissioners for
Further forward it may be possible to
identify this house
1709:- one small cottage in the Hamlet situate nearer to the Mansion House
of Herbert Pelham, gent worth about £3 per annum.
A similar reference made to this property in 1729
Pelham lived at Smallbridge Hall, probably known as the Mansion House
1710 Charity Records for West Suffolk:-
"Beures St Mary a Sch for 30B" - presumably a "School
for 30 boys"
This would not have been the Grammar School as its documented in Charity
Another Source:- WSRO Source Material for Suffolk Teachers, Folder 1141
Bures Charity School appear in the accounts of the "Society for the
Propagation of Christian Knowledge" which was founded in 1698
Bures School is thus considered in the SPCK accounts for 1714, 1715, 1716,
1717, 1718 and 1724
These accounts indicate indicate whether a Charity School was clothed
or part clothed. Bures School is not listed in either of these two options,
therefore the children attending this Bures school did not receive a clothing
1725: There appears to be no further
records after this date
The Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge can be abbreviated
"SPCK". Today that name still continues as "SPCK Christian
Bookshops ( Norwich)"
A school for 30 boys and 25 children
1832 Dissenters Sunday School for
Protestant Dissenters commenced, but this was a year before the Rev Anderson
arrived at the newly opened Baptist Church
Abstract from the County of Suffolk Education Returns 1833
"Bures St Mary:- two daily schools, one thereof contains 30 males
( see 1710 entry) and the other commenced 1825 with 25 children.
In both schools the instruction is at the expense of the parents.
Two Sunday schools:-
(a) Commenced 1832 appertains to the Protestant Dissenters and consists
of 32 males and 13 females who receive gratuitous instruction.
(b) another supported by daily contributions with 50 boys and 72 females
who attend the Established Church
(a) so where was the daily school with 30 boys. The land that the present
school is built on shows no building on the 1827 map.
(b) So where was the other daily school with 25 children which started
(c) the Sunday school which appertains to Dissenters is recorded as having
commenced in 1832, seven years before the Rev Anderson came to Bures as
the first leader of the Baptist Church
Extract from the "Remarks on the Summary of the County Education
returns 1833, page 933
"No school in the County of Suffolk appears to be confined to the
children of parents of the Established Church, or of any other religious
denomination such exclusion being disclaimed in almost every instance
especially in schools established by Dissenters with whom we include the
Wesleyan Methodists and the Roman Catholics"
These remarks suggest that these returns
are not about schools run by private persons but schools set up by the
In 1833 the first parliamentary funds were paid to two voluntary
societies who had an interest in the running of schools.
The Lancastrian Society formed in 1808 and renamed in 1810 the "British
and Foreign School Society.
And the "National Society for the Education of the Poor" which
took over the running of the SPCK
This corroborates that a Church School existed in Bures.
School in Bures recorded in the "Suffolk Society for the Education
of the Poor"
Two schools recorded in Bures
No1:- 25 boys, 30 girls on weekdays. The local Vicar being the Superintendent
No2:- 60 boys, 90 girls on Sundays
These appear to be the same two schools which were documented in 1833.
Comment :- so what happened to the two
daily schools that were listed in the Suffolk Education returns
(see above) between 1833 and 1839
Original Plan dated 1839
British Schools were
of a non denominate nature and catered mainly for the Baptists and
1839- Conveyance of land (Shooting Field) to be used for a National
The land was purchased from Osgood Hanbury
for the sum of £1.
Information taken from the Trust Deed:- "....the Lords of
Her Majesty`s Treasury have advanced the sun of £40 towards
the expense of erecting, furnishing and fitting the said school
1840 School opened
The original classroom was only 39ft x 19ft and built on land in
Nayland Road called Shooting Field which was part of Bures Hall
Situated today to the left of the main entrance gates.
No playground and the front land to the road were gardens
1840 -Schoolmaster Mr William Howard
1843 -School enlarged. This
was the Infants school 20ft x 30ft.
We can see this still today to the right of the main entrance gates.
Built at a cost of £550.
Attendance approx 190
1845 -Rev F Cook writes that
all the village schools in Essex and Suffolk are remarkable, The
clergy making sacrifices to maintain there standards. Farmers are
not to be encouraged to contribute as a large proportion of them
1853 -Boys Schoolmaster Josiah
Girls Schoolmistress Mary Ann Danzie
1854 - the original building erected in 1840 now extended by
10ft at either end to give an overall length of 60ft .
Architecturally identical to the original building
1854 - Proposals for an additional
classroom NW of the existing building.
This required a further acquisition of land.
1855 - the infants are now
housed in the new classroom bringing all the children under the
Still no playground for the children with the front yard divided
by a payling fence segregating the boys and girls and infants.
1855 - Plans now exist for
the Schoolmasters house which will be in the style of the school
1855 - 1875 - Proposal to enlarge the Infants School
1861 - HeadTeacher Frederick Smith
1863 - First log-book appeared
at the school written by Frederick Smith
It would appear now the girls and
infants are in the original extended building while the boys are
in the Infants building
1866 - HeadTeacher
1866 -Miss Garrad allows the
children to leave at 4pm instead of 4.30pm on account of their good
1868 - Edward Evans, SchoolMaster,
Miss Sarah Cant
1871 - 10 boys admitted from
1872 - George Foreman, Schoolmaster
Infants Mistress Mrs Susan Dupont (
served at the School for 33years retiring in 1905)
Alice Maia Wakelin
1874 - HeadTeacher
1881 - ventilation ducts in
the classrooms added during school holiday.
Prior to 1881 the Rev Hanbury
oversees running of the School.
In 1881, the Rev Enoch Woods calls himself Manager. The Vicar and
his curate are deeply involved in the running of the school including
The funeral of the Rev Hanbury took place around this time and it
was recorded he had been involved with the education in Bures for
the past 60 years. That would have taken him back to the 1820
entries above, before the current Primary School existed
Circa 1890 - Schooling eventually becomes free
1885 -School now has 260 children
1894 -School accounts indicate:
Income at £420
Expenditure at £383
The Minutes of 1839 records that when Rev Anderson arrived in Bures
, he was very concerned that a village with 1600 inhabitants had
no place for education.
1840: To the left of the Baptist
Church there is a single story building (see above) built in 1840,
that began as a Sunday School and also became a School for the Nonconformists.
Consequently in 1839/40 the first Bures British School was
opened and the building funded by voluntary donations
There were 60 children on opening with one teacher to cater for
them all. The main aim was to teach children to read so they could
appreciate the text of the Bible
Its location today is at the left of the Baptist Church.
With so many children attending the School adjacent to the Baptist
Church and extension was required
The building was erected at the rear of the current school building.
This was the original British School
School was completed this year and later pulled down.
schoolroom at the rear constructed
Whites Directory records a "British School erected in
1854 at a cost of £360.
The same year the school was officially recognised as the "British
School for the instruction of children from the labouring and working
The name of the British School Master was given as J Arnold
Further in the year the number of children attending reached 120
taught by the Master and a lady. In addition to the skills of reading
the girls were taught needlework
Finance from the running of the school came locally from voluntary
From 1855 the School would also gain some financial support from
the "British and Foreign Schools Society"
1864 - Minutes recorded from
the Baptist School records " 2 boys admitted from the British
Presumably from the new school in Nayland Rd.
Further records these transfers either
way were quite a common occurrence,
Tuition was not free at either the National School or the British
1864- 1865 - Miss Isabella Joanna Edwards as Mistress
1868 - Miss Isabella Joanna
Edwards as Mistress and Mrs Lydia Stebbings and the infants Mistress
1869/1870: School probably
closed. Non-Conformists Ministers son was admitted to the National
School in Nayland Rd
1874 Whites Directory - British
School built for £360 in 1854, closed for some time and the
children transferred to Nayland Road.
National School, Nayland Road (cont)
Mr James Pile
Mr Pile served at the school for 25years
1896 Girls Schoolmistress
1903 - Education Act of 1902 places
the control of Schools in the hands of the Local Authority
Managers listed as
Rev W Jervis
Mr H Turner
Mr A Pettit
Mr F Welstead
1905 - The school was run under three separate departments. Boys,
Girls and Infants
Mrs Dupont left after 33 years service and the girls placed under the
care of Miss Cobb
1908 - Miss
Christine Harris, teacher ( see 1952 entry)
|1909 - Primary School
1911 -Girls Schoolmistress Sarah
1915 - Cleaner insured under Employer
1916 - Head Teacher, Frederick
By this time the School had amalgamated all the
children under the control of one Headteacher
1918 - School granted 40 tons of
coal for the winter, also 10,000 cu ft of gas.
So the school must have had two forms of heating ?
1919 - Proposed to install Central
Heating by the Managers
The Local Authority asks what proportion of the installation costs would
the managers be
prepared to pay out of their own pocket. An agreement was reached with
the LEA paying 50%
It was converted from solid fuel to Oil. The installation was then a total
failure in heating the school rooms. Until the problems were resolved,
mobile gas heaters were situated all around the classrooms
1919 - Windows enlarged in all rooms
1921 - Heating failed again
1926 - The Managers planned a DIY
repair programme for the playground, Water was running into the road and
the stoke hole for the CH boiler. This had to be pumped out several times.
One Manager offered to spread gravel over the playground and another offered
the use of his roller.
It is not known the outcome of this venture
1929 - Question arose - "Who
is liable when the children play on the Recreation Ground for organised
The Local Authority suggests the Parish Council
1929 - A central school at Stoke
by Nayland was proposed
This would cater for the children after 6 years of primary education.
Bures would lose 30 children if this took place
1932 - Head Teacher, Mr
1933 - Because of Mr Creek, Bures
would become the woodwork centre for Nayland, Assington, Stoke and Bures
1934 - School Concert to raise funds
for the Sports Fund raised £10.10
CH still giving problems
1935 -Central School proposal -
the Managers strongly suggested that Bures should be the location of such
Parents were alarmed at the thought of their children cycling to Stoke
along the windy Nayland Rd -
No bus in those days
1937/8 - Electric Light installed
1938 - Mount Bures school closed
with some of the children transferring to Bures
1939 - 32 evacuees from London admitted
to the school on September 11th ( all on the same day)
1949 - Canteen opened in September
1951 - 142 children on roll between
the ages of 5 and 15
1952 - Miss
Christine Harriss who had been at the School since 1908 asked for
an extension to her service of 44 yrs. An extension was granted but within
a few weeks she died on Oct 20th 1952
1952 - Transfer of pupils from Assington
to Bures commencing the Christmas Term.
Numbers increased to 150
1953 - Staff room and cycle sheds
1953 - 2000 - an abundance of minor
1958 - Head Teacher, Mr
1958: Stoke Middle School opened
which drastically reduced the numbers at Bures
1962 - Head Teacher Mr
1964 - 29th June opening of the
outside Swimming Pool by Sir Joshua and Lady Rowley
1967- Mr Poppleton was the last
HeadTeacher to live in the house next door, It was subsequently put up
For Sale when he moved out that year
1972 - Head Teacher, Mrs
1982: Head Teacher Mrs
1985 - Head Teacher
Mr John Swane
1994 - Head Teacher Mrs
2001 - Current Head Teacher
Mrs Christine Furniss
2000 - Mobile classroom now demolished
and new extension opened, Two classrooms including one for the Nursery
2007 - New Canteen and Hall erected
2012 - New extension to the rear,
adjacent to Claypits Avenue with two classrooms
the HeadTeachers information was taken from various
Trade Directories and the dates may not be accurate until the 1900`s
Private Schools in Bures
1844 -Whites Directory
lists "H Lewis, Boarding and Day School"
1855 -School for
Academics - Samuel Grimwood
1888 -Miss Beard
- Preparatory school for Boys at Rose Cottage, Cuckoo Hill
(could be at Bures Green)
1864 - Dames Schools
- these were mainly education taught in private homes by women
Fee was 3d to 4d per week
The School log book of 1864 and 1865 refer to "admissions from a
There was certainly a Dame School at Mount Bures
Circa late 1800
Mrs Handleys (Bures resident) mother went to a private school which was
located in either
Basils or Betty Pilgrims house along the Sudbury Road.
This material originated
from notes written by Mrs Howard, Head teacher 1972 -1982
Acknowledgment to Marion Howard ( daughter)for allowing use of this material
Additional material taken
from the SCC RO