Serving the communities of Bures St Mary and Bures Hamlet



The original plans for the Primary School
dated from 1938 until 1875

1838 Plan of new National School, 39ft x 19ft. Two windows and one front porch with small garden fronting Nayland Road
This small building was intended to accommodate 117 children
Although today we refer to it being opened in 1840, documentary evidence indicates it was actually in 1839

Looking at todays building, the 10ft extensions are to the left and right of the arrows

circa 1842/44
National School.

The original 1838 building has been extended by 10ft either end to give an overall length of 60ft














1840 Building

Extension circa mid 1840`s to the 1840 building

Additional land was purchased from Thomas Scowen on the left to accommodate new classroom

This now shows infants house in the classroom extension as describe above

Circa 1843/44 Proposed design for Infants School 20ft x 30ft

To be erected to the right side of the National School


Circa 1850
Proposed enlargement of the Infants School


Plan part 1

Plan part 2
Plan part 3

Although the original plans were for the infants to be housed in the right hand side building , this never materialised.
By 1857 the boys were allocated the right building whilst the girls and infants were in the original 1840 building