|
Mount
Bures Community Web Site
|
![]() |
|
|
HISTORY OF DOE`S WINDMILLWellhouse is situated at the end of Peartree Lane. The Bridleway/Old Lane leads onto Wormingford Airfield |
|
The earliest apparent reference to what became Doe's mill dates from 1811, when a mill in Mount Bures 'in full trade', with house and 3l/2 acres, was to be let on lease by application to James Josselyn. The same mill, freehold, was further advertised six months later as a substantial post mill with good roundhouse, having two pairs of French stones, but was then for private sale, with the option of the mill's removal at the purchaser' expense. It has been asserted that the mill was moved to its known site, but no documentary substantiation of this has been found.
Greenwood (1825) places the mill at its ultimate site, as do the surveyors for the tithe apportionment (1840), which record lists Isaac Clover as owner and Charles Dowlin as occupier of House and Mill. Thomas Doe was miller and shopkeeper in 1848, and was further recorded in White's directory for 1863. A Frederick Doe is returned from at least 1874 to 1937, but there were three in direct descent, one of whom fell dead in 1897 when in conversation with his son, thereby leaving eight orphans.
The windshaft was wooden and circular, like the centre post and had an iron poll end and wooden clasp-arm head and tail wheels, which drove respectively 4ft. 6in. and 4ft. French burrs Both stone nuts were of wood, planked solid. A flour dresser was lodged in the tail, and in general the mill was of unexceptional design.
Courtesy of K Farries whos book gives
an extensive coverage of the Essex Windmills
|
|||||