Horseshoes :- Church Sq.
Still trading as a PH
1844-Issac Death is Blacksmith
and Samuel Death is Beer Retailer & Blacksmith
1869/1874-John Death is Beer retailer, Samuel Death &
William Death are Blacksmiths
NOTE:- this has always
been documented as a 17ct building.
However one Bures resident has informed me the shop
(previously a Co-op Store) on the corner and the entire
row of buildings were built circa 1620
The Queens House:-
Church Sq, formerly a 17th Century Coaching Inn,
Changed in 2007 to become residential property.
1773 - Samuel Coker
1864 Charles Chinnery
1869 Elias Layzell
1874 Foyster Howlett
1885 George Cousins
1892 George Sargent
1912 Rudolph Ungless
1912 Ernest Golding
1916 George Fayres
1922 Frank Dessant
1925 Frank Dessant
1961 - 1981
Ethel Pink ( see also Crown Public
1981 > - 2 other
licencees before finally becoming a private residence
April 10th 1773
Whereas the house
of Samuel Coker of the Queens Head at Bures being
broken into on the 3rd inst and two silver tankards
etc stolen-this is to give notice that a handsome
reward will be given for information by me Samuel
Ernest Edward Golding lately residing and carrying
on business at the Queens Head Hotel, Bures...............
1874 - William Carter
1892 - William Hume
1900-Mrs Emma Hume
1904-1922-Henry Joseph Lunnis
One Bell :- Located in Nayland Rd.
Demolished many years ago. Now residential properties.
History of the Eight
Barnabas Burch was the Licensee in 1844, Abraham Cousins
in 1874, John Thompson in 1878 and George Cousins
from 1902 to at least 1937.
In 1920 the Colchester
Brewing Co took over Charrington Nicholls with their
East Hill brewery plant with 50 pubs including the
Other local Nicholls
pubs included the White Hart at West Bergholt, The
Swan at Chappel, The Sun at Lexden, Bird in Hand at
Earls Colne and The Shoulder of Mutton at Aldham
In 1925 the pub was
owned by Ind Coope (Romford Brewery) who in that year
bought out 214 pubs owned by the Colchester Brewing
Company. The Ind Coope sign was not used until 1927,
sometime later George Bolton took over as licensee
and motor engineer at the Petrol Station next door
The current Licensee
Mr and Mrs Amos purchased the property in 1992
Courtesy of Ian Stratford
Eight Bells:- Colchester Rd.
Still trading as PH.
the full list of Licensee`s here
Swan :- Station Rd.
1769 -registered as beerhouse
at Chelmsford RO
1855/Mrs. E. Turner
1867 > 1878 /Mrs. Maria Rawlingson
1881 > 1882 John Rawlingson
1886 > 1898 /Enos Page Baxter
1899/E. P. Baxter
1901/Frederick W. Baxter
1902 > 1933 /Frederick William Baxter
(1933+ records no longer available)
Closed down circa 2013
Crown PH:- Located in High St.
Now residential property
1874 Charles Goody
1892 Charles Goody
1904 Alfred Barnard
1912 John Nunn
1925 John Nunn
1933 Arthur Shead
1937 Arthur Shead
? - 1947 Dorothy Taylor
1947 - 1961 Ethel Pink
Pink took over the licence from Dorothy Taylor in 1947
- 1961 & when it closed she took over the licence
at the Queens Head till November 1981 when she retired
at the age of 78. She died 4 days after her 80th birthday
in May 1983.
Courtesy of Joan Nutland, her daughter)
Suffolk Free Press January
Angel:- Located in High St.
Now residential property (Angel House)
1783 - see below
1874 James Pilgrim
1891-Mrs Eliza A Pilgrim
1892 - Mrs Elizabeth Ann Pilgrim
1900-Mrs Eliza Ann Pilgrim
October 11th 1783
To be sold by auction a Inn called the Angel situated
in Bures, Suffolk.---good dwelling house with exceedingly
dry cellars-large brew office-dairy-granary-stables
with large yard leading to the adjoining river Stower
which is most advantageously situated for loading
and unloading goods.
1841-John and Sarah
Elleston or Thomas and Susannah Scowan
(1841 Census not that clear)
1841 Thomas Scowen 60years (Beerhouse)***
1844 Thomas Scowen (Beerhouse)***
1851 William Scowen age 40 years
1855 William Scowen
1861 William Scowen age 51 years
1865 William Scowen
1869 William Scowen
1871 William Scowen age 60years
(John Albert Beards aged 81 registered as White Horse
1892 - Golding Hume
*** Although the records
give no address, it`s most likely this family
were at the White Horse
to other information on the Scowen family
White Horse, Cuckoo Hill. circa 1869 - 1904
Now White Horse House opposite Friends Field.
1905 and 1925, indicate an "Inn" on the corner
of the Essex Knoll or what we now call Bures Common.