Bures-online.co.uk
Serving the communities of Bures St Mary and Bures Hamlet

 
Ferriers, Manorial Court House

 

 

 



According to Leigh Alston, the local medieval historian,
this building was previously a Manorial Court House

"The Manor of Ferrers"
The Court room was located in the left upper floor
Ferriers and the Court House, dated circa 1550

Note the two lower entrances which were cut into the side wall,
in order to accommodate up and over doors for car parking
.

Due to storm damage during August 2018, it was necessary to remove some of the timber cladding to make the building secure.

The result revealed ancient timbers with lathe and plasterwork

The white upper door is a later addition, which will be removed in due course

Compare this to the top photograph where two entrances have been made in order to park vehicles

Published 24/08/2018